Creative design thinking, as its name suggests, is an ideology and a process of thinking. It is used for procuring high-end solutions to complex problems. Creative design thinking is a comparatively new and significant approach to problem-solving, which has recently gained wide momentum worldwide. In this article, we will read in detail about creative design thinking, including its value and context of use.
What is Creative Design Thinking?
Design thinking is a methodology that differs highly from traditional design approaches. It is more creative and user-centric compared to traditional methods. It can also be regarded as a solution-based approach for solving complex or wicked problems. The ill-defined problems and tricky problems can be solved using the creative design thinking approach. Also, the solution that comes, as a result, is creative, fluid, and open.
Characteristics of Creative Design Thinking
The various characteristics that make creative design thinking distinct from the traditional methods are-
- Greater empathy and focus on human values
- More significance is given to experimentation and implementation of user feedback
- Collaboration with people with diverse backgrounds to allow them to emerge solutions
- A curious and optimistic approach to dealing with wicked problems
- Utilization of a mindful creative design thinking process
Five Steps of Creative Design Thinking
The five steps or phases involved in the creative design thinking process can be seen below.
- Empathize: Empathy is the most accurate beginning for the process of creative design thinking. You must understand the user and comprehend their needs and goals. This phase is part of engaging with people and understanding them physiologically and emotionally.
- Define: This stage includes the process of defining the problem. The thinker needs to combine the findings made from the empathizing phase and make an analysis from them. You should devise a clear problem statement and the goals that are to be achieved so that you can formulate solutions and ideas respectively.
- Ideate: This is the phase where creativity takes place. It is the phase of creating ideas, where the designer creates multiple creative solutions for the problem with techniques such as bodystorming, brainstorming, provocation, etc. At the end of this phase, only a few selected ideas with the best effects are chosen.
- Prototype: This experimentation step involves creating a scaled-down version of the solutions selected in the previous phase. All the shortcomings and the potential repercussions of the different solutions are analyzed by putting them to the test.
- Test: In this phase, the selected solution is tested. Based on the test results, it is concluded whether the tested process is efficient or not. If not, the designer might need to test another idea or conduct the whole process again.
Benefits of Creative Design Thinking
The multiple benefits that are accompanied by creative design thinking include the following.
- With problem-solving as its main focus, design thinking helps in reducing the time to market.
- Design thinking allows you to get successful products to market, saving your time and money and giving a great Return on Investment (ROI).
- The user-centric approach followed by creative design thinking improves loyalty and customer retention.
- Design thinking fosters innovation by allowing the designers to think out of the box.
- The creative design thinking methodology can be applied by all the members of the team and not just designers.
Creative design thinking brings about a paradigm shift in which solutions are devised for complex problems. The systematic and user-centric approach of design thinking enables the designers to bring forth highly effective solutions in designing for better processes, products, services, experiences, etc.
MIT ID Innovation offers a plethora of courses to interested candidates in the field of design and innovation, including the Design Thinking Courses in Pune. Their programs are comprehensively built, keeping in mind future challenges and the strategies that would be useful in combating those problems. MIT ID Innovation proudly assists the world by embellishing the innovators of tomorrow!